Yes, we are 50……Welll, Excuuuuuse Me !!!
With Father's Day coming up shortly, I just wanted to spend the next couple of days in honor of this great "Hallmark Cards" institution by having some fun.
This is a picture of me when I was young, virile and let's face it – A Real Stud !!!
The men and women who are reading this blog may agree with me but I doubt that if I showed this picture to my kids or my grandkids they would think so.
I would hear remarks like:
"You were funny looking Dad"
"Nice Hair Mr. 80's Rock Star Wannabee"
Fashion goes in and out of style as fast as TV shows go to reruns.
Music tastes (we all know that us baby boomers lived through the best decades ever for music) change faster than Rhianna changes her hair styles.
What was "vogue" yesterday is now considered "artifice" today.
Well over 50 Dads I can only hope you aren't acting like a 50 year old "fuddy duddy".
Give me one good reason why we must act our age?
A great philosopher once said: "Youth passes away but immaturity can last a lifetime".
Weren't we the ones who started the "Sexual Revolution"?
Weren't we the ones who built the "Rock n' Roll" generation?
Weren't we the ones that created the "Civil Rights" movement and the "Women's" movement and established the "Glass Ceiling", "Equal Opportunity Workplace", Guerrilla Marketing and the new "Modern Family".
Why not start another revolution?
We are 80 million strong.
Dads…Are you with me?
Let's turn the temperature up a little on the way the world is being run.
We have earned the right to display a little "shock factor".
Remember, we are not dead yet and the skies the limit when it comes to risk and adventure.
The real question is, are you game?
Let's stop thinking our behavior has to make sense to everyone.
You know what they say (by the way, who is "they" and why are they always making shit up to say?)…..We only go around once.
Live like you are dying and have no regrets.
In honor of all "Over 50" Dads out there I have compiled a short list of the ways I think you can hopefully shock yourself and the rest of the world into a new way of thinking.
Are you brave enough to try any of these things?
If you have tried some already or are willing to try them now, I hope I get tons of comments and pictures to show off to the world proving that there's still a fire in our guts.
2. Pierce those ears again or get another piercing somewhere else on your body. It doesn't have to be a visible one and by now most of our bodies have gone south already so the piercing won't have much further to drop.
3. Dye your hair a couple of times a year. Go blonde for the summer or have orange or red highlights put in. Maybe go so far as to support your favorite sports team with their team colors.
4. I know it may not seem like much but change your hairstyle. Shave it off. Grow it long. Keep it messy. Forget the 9 to 5 corporate style and do something different. One thing though, promise me absolutely no "comb-overs".
5. Becoming more outspoken. Embrace the greatest movie line of our generation: "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"
7. Take your wife or significant other out for dinner and a night on the town and leave the bra, panties and undies at home. Go "Commando". Better yet, do it for an entire vacation.
8. Again, this is a small one but who knows how significantly it may shake up your life: Change your underwear. No. I don't mean put clean ones on (we'll yes I do). I mean change your style from "tighty whities" to boxers or briefs to sports length. Shake the boys up !!!
9. Men, if you are not in a serious relationship right now "target" a woman out of your age range. Date some women that at 10 years older or younger than you. You don't have to be looking for a long term relationship just enjoy and embrace the difference. If you get lucky then really embrace the difference.
10. Throw out the old and buy some new sex toys. You probably don't know what available from a technology standpoint these days, do you? This will probably help with #10 as well.
11. Dump the sweats, t-shirts or pajamas and sleep in the nude.
12. Try some serious role-playing in your romantic encounters. Make sure some of it happens in public.
13. Go to the local bar and sing karaoke. Pick a song that suits your new, aggressive personality.
Here's my dirty little secret for today: My karaoke song is "Just A Gigolo" by David Lee Roth.
15. Learn to Scuba-dive. If that scares you at least try to "Snuba" or snorkeling.
There is no more intimidating feeling than swimming in the ocean and being surrounded by a school of fish so large that it appears to have no end or swimming over a 50 foot drop at the end of a reef.
If water is not your thing then go to a place in the jungle with Zip-lines.
It will get your blood rushing.
Maybe it's flying a plane that's your trigger.
Try to master something that won't kill you, but that scares the living hell out of you.
17. Tell the truth, every day. If nothing else, it will catch people off guard.
18. Give something away that you truly love and that squeezes you hard to part with. Teach yourself that possessions really mean nothing in this world.
19; Go learn how to ride a motorcycle, buy one and then ride. It doesn't have to be a Harley but I do recommend a nice cruiser. You will soon understand why dogs stick their heads outside the windows of moving cars. Nothing puts the flow back in your life like putting your fists in the wind.
20. I saved the best for last. Take a chance with every decision. Don't regret that you didn't go left when you went right.
Believe it or not, 99.9% of the people on this planet don't even know you exist.
Do you worry about "those people" that you see during the average day?
You know the ones.
They are the ones that you are always afraid you will not impress or might offend if you don't look good or you're not "following the rules" – screw 'em.
They don't know who you are and they definitely won't remember you at the end of the day.
If an opportunity presents itself, take it.
What are you going to do?
Try one of the suggestions above or take you wife out to dinner again at Red Lobster and show off your new tie?
Either way, tell me your story and send me your pictures.
Use the "comments" box below.
Tomorrow we'll have a "crazy" little Father's day contest.
We'll see who has the best old pictures from when you first became a father.
Start digging through those boxes guys (and gals) and scan them into your computers.
Thanks for joining me………………………